Thursday, January 3, 2013

Three for Three

So for day three I ended up with three kind acts that I got the joy of performing. On this very cold morning when I got up I thought it might be nice to pick up some of the neighbors newspapers from their yard and driveways and put them on their doorsteps so they didn't have to venture out into the cold to retrieve them. Again I enlisted my daughter Kaylee's help with this one. I put both the kids in the car and we went through the neighborhood taking turns picking up multiple papers and putting them at people's doors. After our neighborhood we went to a couple more to continue our task. Here's Kaylee picking up one of the papers. She really enjoyed doing this and was hoping someone would meet here at the door.
 Later on this morning I noticed a friend had posted a message saying she was in desperate need for purple crayons for a baby shower she was hosting soon out of town and needed them today. I thought, "well I know we've got several of those laying around." I gathered them up and asked where I could bring them to her. She was so appreciative and was able to get even more from another friend. I was very happy to help her out of a last minute emergency before she left town. I think this by far will be the easiest task I perform all year. Here's Christina with her crayons...
The last one today I'm hoping helped someone the most. After leaving where I met my friend, I came to a stoplight where there was a young man with a sign asking for money. Usually when I pass people asking for money I don't think twice about it and assume they are just scamming people when they could get a "real" job. The light turned green and I drove on thru and as soon as I passed him I realized, "what am I doing?" The money I could give him could mean the difference between being hungry or full today, possibly paying a bill or getting even further behind, providing for his kids or letting them continue to go without what they need. I circled back around to the light and gave him what cash I had in my wallet. He smiled kindly and said "God bless you ma'am." Now I know he may not be in the situation his sign claimed he was and he may waste the money I gave him, but it could also go towards getting back on his feet. My daughter had several questions to ask about me giving him the money which led to a great discussion on how we've been blessed with more than we need and that we can give to others who don't have what they need.
Looking forward to more great things to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment