Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Feeding Those Who Need it Most

   Today's good deeds were very simple but I feel very important. Hunger is one of the largest problems around the world and also one of the most solvable. I'll try and not get on much of a soap box here, but people are hungry and underfed in every single country and to me that is just sad. So after doing a little research on food organizations I came across the World Food Programme and a non profit website that supports them called freerice.com. You can go to this website and answer simple trivia questions and for each correct answer they donate 10 grains of rice to those in need around the world. I know that doesn't seem like much but after I was on the site for only a few minutes I had donated several hundred grains of rice and plan to go back to spend more time and donate more rice. You can visit the website by clicking here and check it out for yourself. You can even sign up for daily reminders if you like so that each day you can donate a little bit.
    But people aren't the only ones who are hungry, our four legged friends are too! Before I stayed at home with my kids I worked with a non profit animal shelter and saw on a daily basis how many animal shelters are in need of help and support to feed homeless animals. So in my research today I also came across the website freekibble.com. It operates in similar fashion to the freerice website in that you can go there everyday and answer easy trivia questions and for each correct answer they will donate 10 pieces of kibble to animal shelters in need. It also had the option to sign up for daily email reminders. You can check them out by clicking here.

I'm really hoping people will share these with others and pass along something that is so simple to do that could really make a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment