Saturday, April 13, 2013

3rd Annual Sara Walker Run


   Today's act was bittersweet... It was great because we were celebrating the life of an awesome family member and friend and also helping raise funds for a great new organization, but sad to me because she wasn't physically there to share this day with us. But I do feel like she was watching and would have been proud. Today my family and I went to the Sara Walker 5k run to benefit the Sara Walker Foundation and the family that she left behind. As you can see from the picture above, her motto was to "Savor each day" and that was a great lesson that she passed on to thousands after she passed away last August from colon cancer. The Sara Walker foundation was formed after her passing and it exists to help charities and organizations that Sara felt strongly about. Currently the foundation is working with and supporting the Blessings hospital for women and children in Malawi, Africa.
This is Sara with her husband Brian, who is my cousin, and their two wonderful boys Camden and Scott. The foundation also helps to fund college and education for the two boys.
Throughout her long battle with colon cancer, Sara touched so many and her spirit and humor were literally heard and seen around the world through her writings and videos.
One of the things I liked best this morning was posted on signs all over the run sights were quotes and things best remembered about Sara. This sign here was one of my favorites and reminded me how much I loved her sense of humor.
So glad I was able to go out and support such a great cause and remember fondly such a great woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment