Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Contributor

   Today the kids and I headed to Nashville to watch my husband's baseball game. Since we had some extra time to kill before the game, at the last minute I decided to take them through the neighborhood I grew up in and by my old house. Since we took a little detour we ended up going down roads I hadn't originally planned on taking and we came across a person at an intersection selling The Contributor newspaper. The Contributor is a non profit in Nashville that prints a newspaper twice a month on the perspectives and information on the condition of homelessness in the area. But it also gives homeless and formerly homeless a source of income because they help put it together and sell it on the street. You can find out more about The Contributor by clicking here. So today I contributed and bought a paper from the vendor we came across. I've always felt conflicted about giving money to people begging on the streets because part of me feels like "well I don't know if they are actually in need or just someone who is capable having a job and making money but they choose to take others money instead." Or I don't know that the money I give them is actually going to help with basic needs like getting a meal or if they are going to use it to buy alcohol or drugs... But like I said in the beginning of this journey, I have been beyond blessed in my life and until I walk a mile in the shoes of someone begging on the corner, who am I to judge them? I don't know what has happened in their lives or what circumstances have lead them to where they are today. I am hoping that my contribution will help someone get their life back together and that reading the paper will open my eyes to some of the issues and things that a part of our community that I don't know a lot about face day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment