Wednesday, April 24, 2013

First Book

   My husband and I are currently in the midst of working on my daughter's reading skills and while reading with her today I was reminded how lucky we are that we have been able to have constant access to books and learning materials. Sadly this isn't the case for many families and children in our country. A while back I came across a program called First Book that is providing access to new books for children in need. They have provided over one million books and resources to schools and programs that serve low income families. They are also working to help get access to new digital media as well as we start to move away from traditional books so that no child is left out because of what they cannot afford. You can check out more on their website and get some great information by clicking HERE. So today I donated to this organization as my act of kindness/good deed. Just ten dollars buys four new books! Something else I really liked was that 97% of what you donate goes towards towards the buying and distributing of books instead of the majority of it going to overheard and personal costs which can be the case sometimes. Children today encounter all kinds of obstacles and challenges for a variety of reasons but learning to read because of lack of money shouldn't be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment