Thursday, June 20, 2013

On Call Doc

  So today's good deed was another one that I wasn't expecting at all and after reading this, some may think this doesn't count as a good deed since it is part of my job. But as squeamish as I am about the blood of someone else, (yes, even my own kid), I say this totally counts today! Not long ago this afternoon, I began thinking about what I needed to do today and then I heard a loud scream from one the kid's bedrooms and lots of crying. My son comes running into the living room with his whole hand covered in blood and it splattered all over his legs and feet. I pick him up and rush him to the bathroom while blood pours all over me and the carpet. I shoved his hand that was bleeding into the sink and run water over it for several seconds while he reaches decibels that only dogs can hear. Each time I pull his hand out to get a better look at the injury, more blood squirts from his finger. While I try and get it under control and not pass out, my daughter explains that he broke the top of the porcelain tea pot they were playing with and that's what sliced his finger open. I finally am able to get his finger wrapped and hold pressure on it to hopefully get the bleeding to stop. I start to look around and see all the blood in the sink, on me, all over the floor and all over my son and I start getting light headed. So I slowly move me and my son down the the floor so I don't pass out while holding him. He begins to quiet down and stare at me, I put on a brave face to try and not scare him but I feel like I need to maybe lay down at this point. So we layed down on the bathroom floor together and I kissed his boo boo several times, (okay, not really his boo boo but all the tissue I was holding on it) and to have calmed down a bit. I quickly began feeling better and we moved back to the couch where I held his finger together  with pressure for the next half hour until my husband got home and was brave enough to open it back up and examine it. In the end he turned out okay and is nicely bandaged up. My carpet though... not sure yet, still haven't gone back and cleaned it up.
   So yes, I know that part of being a mom is caring for your kids when they get injured but this was no simple scrape that was gonna magically feel better after I kissed it. After nearly passing out and having to change clothes because of all the blood, I'm gonna call this one not only part of the job, but a good deed as well. I'm sure you moms out there will understand, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment