Friday, May 31, 2013

Passing On The Bread

   Today I took my kids over to our local greenway to walk and ride around for a bit. We also decided that we'd try and feed the ducks and geese there as well. I only took a couple of pieces on purpose so we didn't end up spending our entire afternoon just feeding the ducks and geese and not enjoying the rest of the greenway.  The birds met us practically when we stepped out of the car and the kids we so excited to see them that we went through what little bread I brought pretty quickly. But there was an older man out there feeding the birds too and when he saw we were out, he came over and handed the kids two loaves of bread. At first I told him thank you so much but he didn't need to give us that much bread and then he showed me that he had literally a whole car back seat full of more bread. So I felt okay about letting the kids take two loaves. Turns out he comes out there pretty regularly to feed the ducks and had even given a lot of them names. He was very sweet and generous. So after we went through one loaf, I suggested to the kids that we take the other loaf and give it to someone else since someone else had been so kind and given us so much. They agreed and after walking around for a bit we came across a family that was walking close to the duck pond that had several kids with them. I went over and offered them the loaf for kids and adults too if they wanted it. They were very surprised that I was giving them that much bread but I explained that we were just passing on a good deed, and they were very appreciative. As I've said before I really enjoy when my kiddos can take part in performing the good deeds/acts of kindness. It never hurts for them to learn good lessons about doing for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment