Friday, May 17, 2013

Care Packs For The Homeless

   Today's act has been a while in the making. Several weeks ago I started purchasing and collecting several items from friends to put together care packages for the homeless. These were simply ziplock bags filled with things like soap, toothbrushes, socks, razors, crackers, granola bars, etc.. that people could carry with them and use when they needed. With some very generous donations along with what I had I was able to put together close to fifty bags to give out. My initial plan was to go out with my husband and pass them out to people that we saw that needed them, but several people suggested that this was maybe not the safest idea. Next I began contacting organizations that served those in need and was having trouble getting in touch with or getting people to call me back about distributing my bags through them. But then my friend Aimee told me about the Journey Home and what they do. They are a Christian outreach organization for the homeless and people who are at risk in Rutherford county TN.  I was thrilled that they immediately called me and had a need for all the care packages. I also talked with the meal director there and am working on the details to volunteer there on a regular basis. It was so great to get to visit there this morning and I look forward to becoming a part of the community there.

Also, thank you so much to all of you who donated so many wonderful items and even put together some of the care packages. It's great to see people come together to help those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment