Monday, July 1, 2013

Making A New Friend

   So one of the goals this year when I began 365 Days of Kindness was also to perhaps venture outside my comfort zone in an attempt to help or do for others. Well, I am at the half way point and I haven't really accomplished that. But today I did something to change that, I wrote to a prisoner. Now some of you may be thinking, "okay... big deal". Maybe I've seen too many movies or let my thoughts get the best of me but when I had considered doing this earlier this year I kept putting it off for fear that when the person I was writing got released they'd try and come find me or escape and try and find me. I know that sounds silly or ridiculous to some but it is a real fear to me. After reading some other blogs and information this random act of kindness kept tugging and pulling at me. Every single person out there, no matter what their circumstances deserves and act of kind kindness. So I found what I feel to be a pretty safe way to correspond with someone who is incarcerated and sat down and wrote them a letter. I can't imagine what it's like to be in their shoes everyday, but I do think that if it was me, it would be great to know that someone out there is thinking about me and cares enough to send me a letter and develop a relationship. If any of you out there are interested you can check out www.writeaprisoner.com and perhaps find someone who is need of a little kindness.

   I really hope today inspires you out there to maybe do something nice for someone that perhaps take you out of your comfort zone. Even though I still have reservations, I am glad I am reaching out to someone in need and that trumps any fear I might have

No comments:

Post a Comment