Saturday, July 6, 2013

They Still Make Pay Phones?

   My family and I are still on vaction visiting other family and while out and about this evening, we were at a store that had a pay phone in the atrium. When I first saw it, I did a double take. With almost every person having a cell phone these days, pay phones have almost vanished completely and I was very surprised to see what looked like a new one that had been recently installed. I walked over and looked at it for a moment and was then pretty positive that this one was brand new. It had fresh drill holes in the wall and all. As I stand there looking at it like I've never seen one before, I turn and see that each person coming in and out of the store was either talking, texting or playing some sort of game on their personal cell phone and became even more baffled that the store would spend money to install a pay phone that no one will probably ever use. Then I thought if someone was in a situation where they had to use a pay phone it was probably an emergency because they didn't have a cell phone themselves, weren't with someone who had a cell phone or couldn't borrow one from someone near by, which again... seems almost impossible these days. But should all that happen, the last thing someone wants to be doing is searching for change to use the pay phone. So for my good deed/act of kindness I left change on top of the phone for someone to make a call if they needed to, because like I said before, if they are at a pay phone they are probably in a desperate situation.

1 comment:

  1. Adam and I joke about not seeing pay phones around much anymore. It seems like we only see the "shell" of one. I am sure that someone who needs to use a pay phone probably does not have the money for a cell phone. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete