Sunday, August 4, 2013

NO!

   This afternoon our friend Dawnjal let us come over and swim for a bit at her apartment complex's pool. We had fun even though it got a little chilly later in the evening. We did run into one snag though... There was another kiddo there with his mom and sister who was very interested in one of the pool toys my oldest was playing with. It began causing problems with the kiddos, so we took it away and decided it would be better if it just stayed out of the pool. But this little guy had other plans. He swam over to me and latched on and said he wanted the toy. I nicely told him "no, that no one was going to play with it and that it wasn't his." He insisted and his mom kept yelling at him from far away to let go and come over to her. He pretty much ignored her and kept grabbing for the toy. I told him, "buddy, you better listen to your mom, I don't want you to get in trouble." When I looked back over at the other mom she was so frustrated and looked back at me and asked for help. Now... I don't know how you other parents out there feel about disciplining other peoples kids but for me it's something that I really don't like doing and am never really sure when it's appropriate. But by this point I had some kid fighting me for a toy and his mom screaming and yelling at him to stop and I felt really bad for her, she obviously had her hands full. So I looked back at the little boy and very loudly and sternly said "NO" and he kinda stared at me for a minute but then began to swim over to his mom. She looked back and me and said thank you and sorry.  Now I know this isn't your typical good deed since it involved me yelling at a smile child, but this mom asked for help and as awkward as it felt, today I obliged.

No comments:

Post a Comment