Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Smile Challenge

   Today for my good deed/act of kindness I tried something that a few people have suggested and that I read about on another RAK blog.  The idea is to smile at everyone you come into contact with trying to brighten their day a bit and see how many smiles back you get. I challenged my son to do it with me while we were out and he for sure got more smiles than I did. But I knew that would happen, he's just too cute not to smile back at and ultimately if it makes the other person happy when my son smiles at them then that's even better. So here is what I have gotten so far today:

Barista at coffee shop: I smiled and asked her how her day was... she smiled back and was very polite

Post office clerk: I smiled at her and she kinda half smiled back but really grinned when she saw my son.

  Salon Lady: I smiled several times at the lady cutting my son's hair but she just wasn't having it. It seemed like she was having a bad day, so I kept trying. She finally did smile back but I think it may have been because I was beginning to border on creepy. She of course had no problem smiling at PJ.

Clerk at Sam's : As I approached her I smiled big and asked how she was doing and she smiled back as she answered but opened up even more when she saw my son.

Staff at Daughter's school: In the pick up line today I smiled at two different teachers, one never made eye contact with me, I suspect she was just trying to keep things moving quickly and avoid any hold ups. The other smiled back and was very friendly.

That's where we're at on the smile challenge so far and I'd say my son is winning. I've really had to work for some of the smiles but if it makes a difference to someone than it is totally worth it. I think the pic with this post sums up today perfectly. I hope some of you will try the smile challenge, you never know who's day your smile can change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment