Saturday, August 10, 2013

Two For The Price Of One

  This weekend my husband and I have been lucky enough to score some time just for ourselves kid free, a chance to recover from this crazy hectic summer perhaps. So while out and about this afternoon we stopped by Kohl's for a few items and came across a display for their Kohl's Cares items. These change out periodically but they are usually some kind of toy or book that is reasonably priced at 5.00 and 100% of the proceeds go to kids' health and education initiatives. You can find out more about this great program by clicking HERE. Right now the items are all Curious George related so we picked up a book for our kiddos since they are big fans of him and the man in the yellow hat. I always love buying books for them, but it feels even better when the money spent goes to helping out other child related programs.


I also wanted to mention an act of kindness of  my husband's doing today.  On our way home we drove by a family of four standing with a sign saying they were in need of help and that the father was in need of a job. Sadly we drive by situations like these too frequently in my opinion and both my husband and I know that you can't stop and help everyone. But something kept telling my husband that we needed to go back... so we did. After I talked to them for a moment, we offered to buy them dinner and they accepted. They never asked us for cash and seemed relieved to be getting a meal, especially for the kids.  So we ran over to Jason's Deli and got them some food and when we came back there was a gentleman who had the same idea as us and was bringing them food. We were both really happy to see someone else felt the way we did and that they were gonna have food to eat, at least for the next couple of meals. I know that people who are soliciting help and money on street corners aren't always in need and honest, but there are some who really do need help and compassion. I'm really glad my husband saw them and felt compelled to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment