Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Raising Awareness

Not long ago I learned that an old friend had been recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis or MS. Before I had heard about their diagnosis, I really knew little to nothing about the disease and I have a feeling that most people also have very limited knowledge on this horrible disease. So for today's act I thought I would share a little info and helpful links to raise some awareness. MS is chronic disease of the central nervous system that affects over 2 million people. It has a range of symptoms like numbness, blurred vision, fatigue, memory loss, blindness and paralysis that can make it difficult to diagnose. There are also different kinds of MS. Many with this disease can function in their lives normally most of the time, but for a small percentage the disease is fatal. Sadly there is no cure for this disease, but hopefully by raising awareness and shedding more light on it, more can be done to find a cure. One of the of organizations where you can find out more about MS or even donate to help fund research for a cure is the National Multiple Sclerosis Society . They have tons of information and also hold several walks and runs all over the country to help raise money. I have found a walk here in my town later this year and have signed up to form a team to raise funds and walk. If you are interested in finding an event in your city, it shouldn't be hard, there are over 600 of them this year!  You can click here to see all the events and the dates and times. I hope for my friend's sake a cure is found soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hugs Rachel. Thanks for doing this. It means a lot to me

    ReplyDelete