Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Letter Of Recognition

   Today I got very lucky... On my way home from the grocery I got pulled over for speeding, which is kinda sad since I literally live just over a mile from the store. But I was not paying attention and talking to my son in the back seat and when I was less than two blocks from my home I saw the blue lights flashing behind me. I pulled over into a school parking lot, grabbed my license and registration and readied myself to get a lecture and looked down upon. But to my delight the officer was more than friendly and didn't talk to me like a child which has been the case in previous traffic stops. He took my info back to his car to write my ticket and while I waited I just kept thinking, "James is going to kill me. I still have a ticket on my record from a year ago." When he came back he told me in addition to speeding my license wasn't valid because it didn't have the correct address on it. But he said he'd let that citation go as long as I got it fixed soon and that even though I was doing more than 10mph over the speed limit (oops) he was only going to give me a warning this time. I was SO thankful and couldn't believe how nice he was being. If it wouldn't have been weird I would have gotten out and given him a bear hug for being so nice. But it wasn't even that he was letting me off the hook, but also that he was understanding and friendly. On the way home I kept thinking what can I do for him or the police dept? I got online and looked up our city police to see if I there was something I could do to show my appreciation. I found a section where you could write letters of recognition to the chief of police to let them know when an officer has done an outstanding job. As soon as I saw this, I knew what I was doing today for my act of kindness. I felt the chief needed to know how awesome this officer was and that he deserved some recognition. I'm sure the police department gets their share of not so nice feedback so I was happy to let them know that when they are doing a great job it isn't going unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment